The fatalities, up from 23 in Friday’s report, were recorded in the provinces of Quang Nam, Nghe An, Dak Lak and Gia Lai, while the missing and injured were mainly reported in Quang Nam and Binh Dinh provinces, according to the committee.
The natural disasters damaged 63 bridges along with some national highways and local roads, said the committee.
As many as 10,420 military officers and soldiers have been mobilized for the search and rescue work and to help locals cope with the now weakened Molave, which is among the strongest typhoons that hit Vietnam in the past 20 years.
Molave approached part of Vietnam’s central region on Wednesday, bringing heavy rains and strong winds, said the committee. E
Meanwhile, Vietnam reported no new cases of Covid-19 infection on Friday, with its total confirmed cases standing at 1,177 and 35 deaths from the disease so far, according to its Ministry of Health.
The ministry announced that one more patient was given all-clear on Friday, raising the total cured cases in vietnam to 1,063.
Meanwhile, nearly 14,200 people are being quarantined and monitored in the country, the ministry said.
Vietnam has gone through 58 straight days without any Covid-19 cases in the community, according to the ministry. – Xinhua
More than 310,000 houses were damaged or destroyed in recent floods, leaving more than a million people in severe danger and in need of shelter, food, sanitation and safe drinking water even before the typhoon hit Vietnam, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said.
“The people of Vietnam are tough, yet this is among the worst destruction ever seen in many areas. The relentless storms and flooding are taking a devastating human toll,” Vietnam Red Cross Society president Nguyen Thi Xuan Thu said in a statement.
“All our hard work in containing the social and economic fallout of COVID-19 is being undone by these massive storms hitting us one after the other,” she said.
At least five airports were closed as the typhoon approached Wednesday, with more than 200 flights cancelled. Train services were also suspended Wednesday and will resume when the weather improves, the VTV network reported.
The typhoon left at least nine people dead in the Philippines before blowing toward Vietnam. Most of the thousands who took shelter during the storm have returned home, leaving those whose homes were destroyed remaining in evacuation camps.